Give your children the opportunity of a lifetime. Lapa Rios provides families with the ideal environment to immerse themselves completely in some of the last remaining lowland tropical rainforests of Central America. Away from the distractions of telephones, television, computers and the Internet, your children can see wildlife up close, learn about sustainability and have so much fun they won’t want to go home. Click here for a complete Costa Rica Family Itinerary.
Please note: The minimum recommended age for children at Lapa Rios is 6-years old.
While staying here at our eco lodge, your children will have the opportunity to:
- Swim in the pool of a wild waterfall surrounded by lush tropical rainforest. A kid’s dream come true.
- Take a hike on our kid-friendly hiking trails throughout the 1,000 acres of the nature reserve where they may see monkeys, sloths, toucans, macaws, frogs and many other creatures of the rainforest. And for our junior hikers, we have kid-sized Wellington-style boots and mini walking sticks available just for them!
- Participate in the Kids Rainforest Tour, a hike specifically designed just for them. Our friendly nature guides will lead your family through primary and secondary forest and teach your kids the difference between the two.
- Get up close and personal with aquatic animals such as dolphins on our dolphin and whale watching tour, or fish when you go snorkeling.
- Learn all about sustainability and meet our pigs on the Twigs, Pigs and Garbage: Interpreting Sustainable Practices right here at Lapa Rios.
- Enjoy high-energy activities such assurfing on a nearby beach (a ten-minute walk from Lapa Rios) or kayakingin the mangroves.
- Plant and name a tree in our volunteer rainforest.
Your children will not only learn in a hands-on, breathtaking environment, but will also have fun doing so. Additionally, our restaurant offers a kid-friendly menu to suit the needs of even the pickiest eater! Contact us for a family vacation at Lapa Rios.
“The Notis Family had a wonderful time in Lapa Rios-we hiked and swam underneath a waterfall (all of us! Ages 8-43) and we all learned to surf and were able to stand on our surfboards. We saw so many animals and met lovely people-your brownies were very yummy as well! Thank you for the very special and memorable experience!”
– Bonnie, Correy, Max, Melissa and Alez Notis. New Jersey, USA
“The family adventure ends, and we leave with much sadness and even more admiration for the beauty of your land, the patience of your people, the pace of your world. Thank you for sharing it with us.”
– Steve, Robin, Mark, Adam and Nin Rodgers. Fairfield, Connecticut
“The Rapp family had an incredible stay at Lapa Rios. Good food, great surf, friendly and gracious staff, abundant wildlife. Ecotourism at its best.”
– Victoria, Ron, Otto and Hugo Rapp
“The Spiller Family from Los Angeles had a great time (although too short!). The food, the rooms, the staff and our daily wake-up calls complimentary of the howler monkeys were amazing and wonderful. Our kids loved it! We’ll be back…”
– Michael, Melanie, Henry and Beechie Spiller
“This is a really cool place. I love the wild waterfall. It’s awesome that you can see monkeys just outside your room. Go! It’s awesome!
– Caleb Shields, age 12
“We don’t want to leave the place. We really want to see the animals. The place is very nice. I like the pool. It was cool. I wish I could stay longer but my spring break is almost over and I have to go back to school. I hope more people come because it is very nice. Thank you.”
– Nina Rodgers, age 8.